Any Gunsmoke Actors Still Alive?

The TV series Gunsmoke aired for 20 years from 1955 to 1975 which is pretty incredible. Most of the original cast members have passed on including James Arness who played marshal Matt Dillon who died at the age of 88. But a few cast members are still around:

Buck Taylor

Buck Taylor

Buck Taylor Then

Buck Taylor 3

Buck Taylor Now

Buck Taylor played Newly  O’Brien for 8 episodes and 13 seasons from 1967-1975. He was born on May 13, 1938 in Hollywood Ca. and currently resides on a ranch outside Fort Worth, Texas. Before becoming a regular cast member, he was on several episodes as a “bad guy”. However, his character afterwards was definitely a “good guy”. He liked Gunsmoke so much that he named two of his sons Mathew Taylor and Cooper Glen Taylor after Matt Dillon and Glenn Strange who played the bartender for many years before dying of lung cancer.

These days, Taylor is known for his paintings. They are mostly Western paintings and include a portrait of James Arness.

Burt Reynolds

Burt Reynolds

Burt Reynolds Then

Burt Reynolds

Burt Reynolds Now

Most of us remember Burt Reynolds for his roles in Smokey and the Bandit, Deliverance, White Lightning, Gator, All Dogs Go To Heaven, The Longest Yard and Boogie Nights. However, he did have a role on Gunsmoke from 1962 to 1965. He played Quint Asper who was a blacksmith and part native American. He sometimes assisted marshal Matt Dillon in solving crimes.

Reynolds was born on February 11, 1936 in Lansing, Michigan. His family moved to Rivieria Beach, Florida where his father became the Chief of Police. Reynolds played high school football and was named first team all state. He received a scholarship to play football at Florida State University.

Roger Ewing

Roger Ewing

Roger Ewing Then

Roger Ewing

Roger Ewing Now

Roger Ewing was born on January 2, 1942 in Los Angeles, CA. He appeared in 36 episodes of Gunsmoke from 1965 to 1967. His character was Clayton Thaddeus “Thad” Greenwood, a part time deputy to marshal Matt Dillon.  Interestingly, his character was superseded by Buck Taylor (above).

He appeared in a number of TV and movie roles including Bewitched, The Bing Crosby Show and the WWII film None But the Brave.

Be Sociable, Share!
m4s0n501

Comments

1. Rebecca Villegas says:

My husband and I enjoy watching Gunsmoke reruns.Do any of you go to Kanab,Utah for western days in August? It sure would be nice to meet you. Thank you.

• Michael Richardson says:

I belong to a Gunsmoke fan club. We have over 300 members right now. You can ask questions of other members and read the post of other fans. We have a cast member that reads our board. Roger Ewing who played Thad Greenwood visits our board on a regular basis. Its free to join.

• Thanks for the tip, Michael. That’s a very cool site.

• Angela Mundy says:

I am a huge Gunsmoke fan and at least two episodes are shown in my part of the UK every day. I have recently seen Ken Curtis (Festus) on Youtube singing Tumbling Tumbleweed. He had the loveliest voice, very unlike his Festus voice. Sadly he died in 1979 aged 74 I believe.

• Theresa Sharp says:

My husband has downloaded alot of the Gunsmoke episodes on the computer. We started with the very first episode in 1955 with John Wayne introducing the new western. After 5 months, we’re now in season 7(still in black & white and before we were born). They are such good shows. My stepson’s teacher was surprised that he had actually seen the show and said the intro….”Gunsmoke….starring James Arness as Matt Dillon” and sounded like it. He’s probably the only 17 year old kid that watches the show with his parents…LOL :)

• Roy & Carol Stone says:

We would like to join your Gunsmoke club, we have watched the originals growing and everyday since.
        We are in our 60’s & 70’s.
        Thank you.

• Janet Nazer says:

I too love to watch Gunsmoke. I met Buck Taylor in 1992–very nice man, very cordial and accomadating. got my picture taken with him, and as my niece was with me at the time, she too was in the pictures.

2. Russell Allison says:

I have the painting He Kept A Lid on Dodge. I bought it at an MD auction in Wichita Falls. I also bought James Arness’ autographed autobiography. I grew up watching Gunsmoke and watch it to this day. There’ll never be another western like it. It keeps the old west alive.

• I agree. I watch Gunsmoke reruns almost every night. It’s a sad commentary on the shows of today when a TV series that aired over 30 years ago can still attract viewers.

• Wow ! I agree with u guys , i started watching gunsmoke last year here in england n i havnt missd one episode so far, i love western films ,gunsmoke is amaziiing,lv all caracters but my favorite got to b festus .

• Michael Richardson says:

I have a similar signed photo that James sent me as a prize to a poetry contest he had for his 86th birthday. I also have the autographed autobiography. I have many Roger Ewing “Thad” photos as well. And last summer I was happy to meet Buck Taylor, so I have several photos and prints that he signed for me. I am friends with Roger Ewing, and just got back from visiting him in California last month. We chat about once a week via email and He will be attending the 60th Gunsmoke reunion in Sept 2015. The Gunsmoke fan board will have details about where and the exact day as the date gets closer. Its free to join this board, and we have over 300 members now. http://gunsmokegang.proboards.com/

3. Gunsmoke is simpily the best tv show of all time don’t fully understand why they wont make new shows like Gunsmoke andy griffin show ECT there is obvisley still a big market for shows like that or the reruns would not be shown as much as they are

4. Hey there outstanding blog! Does running a blog such as this require a lot of work?

I have virtually no understanding of computer programming however I
    was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyhow, should you have any recommendations or
    tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject however
    I just wanted to ask. Thanks!

• Salina – you don’t have to know computer programming to start a blog. There are blogging sites such as blogger.com and tumblr.com that are easy to use. The hardest thing (for me) is to come up with content. Pick a subject you are interested in and that should make it easier.

5. Ralph Westenberger says:

Gunsmoke is a wonderful show. Festus is my favorite followed by Doc and Matt. Have you noticed Matt sure gets shot a lot. I wonder how many time he has been hurt during the run of the show?

• Poor Matt, thank goodness that Doc is around to patch him up.

James Arness was actually injured in WW II. The leg that was injured apparently bothered him the rest of his life. If you look closely, there are times when he struggles mounting his horse.

6. I still look at Gunsmoke every day

7. I think Buck Taylor was a great addition to the show . He was such a good guy and always shocked when I saw him play bad guy roles . It just didn’t seem to fit . I am glad he is still around .

8. Cathy brown says:

My partner and I have just started watching here in Northern Ireland in the last year we love it !!!! If I’m lying I’m dying

9. Carol Jarvis says:

My hubby and I watch Gunsmoke on Encore Western channel every day. We also love Cheyenne starring Clint Walker. They don’t make shows like those any more. :(

10. Darlene Barber says:

I love watching these old shows. On Gunsmoke, Fetus is my favorite. When I was small and watching as a child, I wanted to be Miss Kitty when I grew up! Lol. I adore Bonanza, the Rifleman, Big Valley, and all the rest as well. I am so glad they are on. On a recent trip to Ireland, I was surprised when I flipped on the TV to find an episode of Bonanza on!

11. If some one wants expert view about blogging
    and site-building then i suggest him/her to go to see this blog,
    Keep up the pleasant job.

12. I met a man in Lincoln, NE. who I found out played the blacksmith on Gunsmoke. Am trying to find his name. I wasn’t introduced to him and do not know his real name. Can anyone post a list of the actors who played the blacksmith?

13. I watch Gunsmoke every day. I have seen most of the episodes about 3 or 4 times. I worked for a guy named Jason Day for several years who was married to Amana Blake at one time. Would sure like to meet Buck Taylor some day. Going to check out the fan club now.

• Wow – married to Amanda Blake? She was one sexy and beautiful lady.

• I watched Gunsmoke as a little girl every week! I wanted to be Miss Kitty when I grew up. She was a smart, strong independent character for sure. Amanda Blake was so beautiful!
        I am glad to be able to re-watch it today.

14. Just watched the episode of Jake MacGraw played by J.D. Cannon. It had him playing the old honky tonk type music on the piano and I was wondering if he really did play it?

15. I have always liked gunsmoke ever since I was a little kid especially buck Taylor as newly. It’s kinda weird buck Taylor was born may 13th and I was born may 16th 1957 that’s pretty awesome! Don’t matter to me that he was born in 1938! We were born in the month of May! I would love to hear from him! Or maybe a picture! ! Thanks mindy

16. Michael Richardson says:

The picture is now correct. Thanks for changing it to the one I sent to you.
    Michael

17. Michael – no problem. Thanks for pointing out the error.